The purpose of the “Why us?” or “Why this college” essay is to demonstrate—through specific details and examples—why you’re a great match for a particular school. In some cases, the “Why us?” essay is an important way to demonstrate interest in a particular college.
- 1 Why did you apply to this college essay?
- 2 How do I make my college essay stand out?
- 3 Why is applying for college important?
- 4 Why did you decide to go to college?
- 5 What are your reasons for choosing this school?
- 6 What should college essays be about?
- 7 What makes you a strong candidate for college essay?
- 8 What are they looking for in a college essay?
- 9 How can college benefit you?
- 10 Why did you choose this college sample answer?
Why did you apply to this college essay?
The “why this college” essay is essentially looking for three things: Proof that you understand what makes this college different and special. Evidence that you’ll be a good fit at this school. Evidence that this college will, in turn, be a good fit for you.
How do I make my college essay stand out?
1. Your first paragraph should grab the reader
- Try starting with a question.
- Begin with a bold statement.
- Use an interesting quote.
- Put the reader in medias res, that is, in the middle of things.
- Challenge the reader by speaking directly to him/her.
- Tell the reader what you do NOT want to do in your writing.
Why is applying for college important?
A: The application has many important components. You get a chance to show the reader who you are and why they would want you on their college campus. Your activities highlight your interests and your tendency to take a lead in them. Accurate applications demonstrate care and thoroughness.
Why did you decide to go to college?
I CHOOSE college because I know a higher education will allow me to pursue careers that I choose to do. College classes are designed for you to build better knowledge in areas of your interest [of your major] and give you better skills on writing, communicating, studying, and critical thinking.
What are your reasons for choosing this school?
10 Other Reasons Parents Are Choosing Your School
- Academic excellence.
- Character Development.
- Whole Child Education.
- Acquisition of skills for learning.
- Being part of a community of students.
What should college essays be about?
Your college essay should reflect your opinions and experiences and display clear and critical thinking. It’s more than a list of facts or a highlight reel of successes; it helps college admissions officers understand your character. Colleges may provide writing prompts or leave the topic up to you.
What makes you a strong candidate for college essay?
Whether reflected in the essay or the thoughtful confluence of the academic course load and extracurricular activities, a successful applicant should highlight an ability to overcome obstacles and garner results. It’s about proving you can produce outcomes, both on the part of the student and the university.
What are they looking for in a college essay?
Admissions officers look for students whose essays reveal their character and perspective through their real experiences, not contrived situations. Admissions officers say most essays they read are safe, generic and do nothing to make them remember or want to advocate for the students who wrote them.
How can college benefit you?
10 Benefits of Having a College Degree
- Increased Access to Job Opportunities.
- Preparation for a Specialized Career.
- Increased Marketability.
- Increased Earning Potential.
- Economic Stability.
- Networking Opportunities.
- A Pathway to Advancement.
- Personal Growth and Improved Self-Esteem.
Why did you choose this college sample answer?
I picked a small liberal arts college because I wanted smaller class sizes and the chance to establish close relationships with other students and my professors. I thrive in a collaborative environment, and I relished the opportunity to engage with other students and work together to complete projects.