Frequently Asked Questions
- File your FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
- Continue to the NYS TAP application and complete.
- Apply for the Excelsior Scholarship at www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior.
- 1 Who is eligible for SUNY free tuition?
- 2 Is the Excelsior Scholarship open for fall 2021?
- 3 Can you go to college for free in NY?
- 4 Who qualifies for the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 5 How do you qualify for free tuition in New York?
- 6 How do I go to college for free?
- 7 Do I have to pay back the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 8 Do I have to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship every year?
- 9 Are there any tuition-free colleges?
- 10 Is New York community college free?
- 11 What GPA do you need for Excelsior Scholarship?
- 12 How do I contact the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 13 When can I apply for the Excelsior Scholarship for fall 2020?
Who is eligible for SUNY free tuition?
Leading the Way to College Affordability Under this groundbreaking program, more than 940,000 middle-class families and individuals making up to $125,000 per year will qualify to attend college tuition-free at all CUNY and SUNY two- and four-year colleges in New York State.
Is the Excelsior Scholarship open for fall 2021?
The Excelsior Scholarship application is currently open and available with New York State Higher Education Services Corporation until August 31, 2021.
Can you go to college for free in NY?
By signing his Excelsior Scholarship program into law, New York became the first in the nation to cover four years of college tuition for low- and middle-income students. Excelsior doesn’t pay tuition costs directly — rather, it covers any tuition costs left over after other financial aid programs.
Who qualifies for the Excelsior Scholarship?
You may be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship, if you are an undergraduate who is a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen and reside in New York State for one year prior to enrollment and whose family’s adjusted gross income (as filed on your 2016 federal tax returns) does not exceed $110,000 and you complete thirty
How do you qualify for free tuition in New York?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a NY State resident and live in the State for at least 12 continuous months before the term you want to receive the award.
- Enroll at a 2-year or 4-year CUNY or SUNY college.
- Be pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
- Attend school full time.
How do I go to college for free?
How to Go to College for Free
- Attend Community College First.
- Choose an In-State Four-Year Public College.
- Minimize Living Costs.
- Find a tuition-Free School.
- Join the Military.
- Get Help From Your Employer.
- Submit the FAFSA.
- Apply for Scholarships.
Do I have to pay back the Excelsior Scholarship?
If you received awards for four years and resided in NYS for three years, you will be required to repay one-fourth of the award as a no-interest loan. The Excelsior Scholarship will convert to a 10-year loan. Loans can be repaid early without penalty.
Do I have to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship every year?
2.2 Returning Excelsior Scholarship Recipients Returning Excelsior Scholarship Recipients are not required to complete the Excelsior Scholarship application in any subsequent year, even if they have received a $0 award in any previous year.
Are there any tuition-free colleges?
Tuition-free colleges in the U.S. Alice Lloyd College, Pippa Passes, Ky. Antioch College, Ohio. Barclay College, Haviland, Kan. Berea College, Berea, Ky.
Is New York community college free?
There are 20 US states that provide tuition-free community programs for eligible students. These are Arkansas, Boston, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, New York, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Seattle, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington.
What GPA do you need for Excelsior Scholarship?
Do I need a certain grade point average to get or to keep the Excelsior Scholarship? Award recipients need to earn a minimum of a 2.0 GPA to maintain their Excelsior Scholarship award provided they earn 30 credits over the course of a year.
How do I contact the Excelsior Scholarship?
Excelsior Scholarship/Enhanced Tuition Award Email [email protected] Please include student name, date of birth, and the last four digits of his or her social security number or schedule an appointment to speak with HESC. Appointments are available between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
When can I apply for the Excelsior Scholarship for fall 2020?
The deadline to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship for the fall 2020 semester is Aug. 31, 2020. All first-time applicants must take the following actions to receive an Excelsior Scholarship award determination: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov.